Saturday, November 19, 2011

Softer suspension for my Swift

Softer suspension for my Swift

May 2010 – Looking for a diesel hatchback, test drove the Figo 5 times, Punto and the Vista. i20 petrol also was part of my list just because of the looks. One of the test drives of the Figo I took my family with me and everyone was happy – the space, super cool a/c, decent suspension, ‘sedan’ feel from within, boot space etc etc (all of those we know). By May end I was 99% on to Figo TDCi. Now many start wondering why Ritz and Swift was not in my list! Yes, I purposely avoided them because for some reason I dint like both the cars though I had been using Maruti Esteem for 5 yrs before that which of course I loved a lot. Vista was another car which to me had a decent suspension though ignored since it was a Tata QJT.

June 2010 – Finally, I made up my mind and decided to test drive the Ritz. I just hated the Swifts design so no Swift till then. To my surprise the dealer brought a Swift Diesel instead and said he was very sorry that Ritz had a problem with the transmission and he said 'afterall its all the same’. Despite being a auto freak for many yrs I never drove the Swift diesel before that and the moment I met the ‘super turbo’ I knew I was onto something. Rest is history.

July 23rd, 2010 a brand new Swift Diesel landed in my porch! Despite all the better things of the Figo, the Swift engine just couldn’t be ignored just as it happened for many other guys out here.

November 2011 – Despite a 3-4 months break due to an onsite still she is nearing the 25000 kms and is on song and I am just enjoying every km with her. Loved the way she used to stay close with the Audi’s and BMW’s on the highway and easily ‘rubbished’ any Innovas, Scorpios, Safaris, Fiesta TDCi, ‘other’ hatches and most other under 15 lakh cars except of course some petroheads :) (Comparison is just for fun and my list doesn't include cars like Cruze. And I drive safely as well!)

All was well with the car except for mom and wife as they always used to complain about the ‘hard’ suspension. We all know the goods and bads of a hard suspension. Coming over from an Esteem it was too ‘hard’ for my family but I was enjoying each moment! Last visit to Kerala from Bangalore, the roads were at the worst in a decade in Kerala. All three of us had backaches and first time in my life (have been driving for almost 14yrs now), due to severe exhaustion I almost fainted just because of the jerks the Swift was giving inside. Admit that the roads were too bad, but the car wasn’t built for those kinds of roads. And finally, to say the least, now my wife is expecting and I am unable to drop her at office because going in a Bus is far better than going in a Swift :Frustrati

So finally I admit, I made a mistake by not going for the Figo. Just went for the freak-in-me and opted for a spicy engine than the suspension. A recent article said that the 70 bhp petrol Figo was faster than the 85 bhp K series Swift on a racetrack. It underlines the fact that Figo has both ride quality and handling as well. So to me, Maruti just haven’t learnt the trick and I fell just for the engine and now cribbing. Though after all these still Maruti says Swifts suspension is designed for 'Indian' roads. Hard suspension not just breaks the back it also is the core reason for all rattles in Swift as per my finding.

Alternatives –

Option 1 of course is to sell her NOW since Swift is in demand and I would easily get ~5 lacs for her and then go for say a Manza or the Fiesta Classic though it also means I have to restart my car loan all over again and all the hassles.

Option 2 - Work on the suspension. I spoke to Petes but they said none of the suspensions make the car softer instead makes it harder. Spoke to a few other people too but finally talked to Red Rooster Bangalore and they claim they have a custom suspension (TEIN) which is Soft and still gives the handling too. They are quoting 60k for it and asking me to come and have a look at one of their modded Swifts.

Option 3 - Someone told me that Dzire has a gas shock in the rear and Swift has oil filled. I never felt Dzire any better even if its true! But worth trying if its suitable.


So guys, I hope you understood my problem. I am sure the very same thing is faced by LAKHS of people in India who own a Swift, though most don’t speak up because the Engine and the ‘feel’ makes up for all the ‘jerks’ and most Swift owners are better off in the driving seat (which course is the best place). But now, I am doomed.

Note1: I drive on 195/65 R14 Yokohama A Drive with Alloys. Was on stock for first 13k kms and then 12k on new set.

Note2: From day one i dont see any change in the suspension. For almost 9 months I was on stock tyres. All the while its all the same, horrible.

Note3: I haven't test driven the new Swift so i donno about its ride quality.

Auto gurus please suggest.

No comments:

Post a Comment