Rann Utsav - Dec 9 - Jan 15: Status
Yesterday, I replied to a query on the subject, can't find it today, so posting it to all prospective Rann Fans this year:
1. The Rann Utsav will be from 9th Dec to 15 Jan, will be inaugurated by CM Mr.Narendra Mody on 9th Dec (read tight security, travel restrictions etc.) I would avoid any travel here from 8th to 10th.
2. Near Dordo Village, 440 tents, A/C and Non A/C (it would be cold, you'd not want A/C) are on.
3. 80% of them are booked out for the whole month; yesterday someone who tried for December 20th, did not get acco., 15th to 24th it's sold out.
4. Prohibition WILL NOT be relaxed, non-veg food WILL NOT be served.
5. Ther's a special package: Tourists will be picked up from Bhuj and taken to the Utsav in Bus, contact Gujarat Tourism Offices, get more dope here:
Rann Utsav | Fairs & Festivals | Home | Gujarat Tourism
6. Passes will have to be made out in Bhuj or in the check post on the road to Dordo, better to get it done in Bhuj itself, the check post would be very crowded and zap time. Carry extra passport photos, some identity proof and photocopies (at the check post there was only one photocopy shop) even children MAY be asked for school identity proofs, last year they did to me but we managed to haggle through.
7. There's another special package organized by the Tourism Department this year from 25th to 31st at Mandvi Beach.
8. Most hotels in Bhuj and areas around are going at Premium prices those who still want to make it in this period should HURRY with the bookings on whatever is left. Be ready to share space and facilities with lots of crowd. This year they are expecting record crowd, the adds with Big B are on with increased frequency, he has been a big crowd puller to Rann.