Thursday, December 15, 2011

Power steering belt snapped (Baleno). Can i drive 60 kms without damaging anything?

Power steering belt snapped (Baleno). Can i drive 60 kms without damaging anything?

Yesterday, as I was nearing home in a Baleno, suddenly the steering became very heavy and when I checked the engine bay at home the belt from power steering motor seems to be missing!

Obviously it snapped on the way and fell off, there is no oil leakage. I have to go out of station (around 60 kms) to Chandigarh where i plan to get it serviced. My question is can I drive safely on highway.

I have driven it to short distance this morning and have found nothing abnormal except a heavy steering esp. when turning with vehicle stationary or at low speed.

I have got contrasting opinion from mechanics, from it's Ok to it can lead to overheating and must not be done. I need urgent help to know what is right as I don't want to turn a small fault in to something bigger

No comments:

Post a Comment